Questions? Contact the Athletic Office at 631-801-3310
Spring 2024 Semester
As per the NYS Department of Education, in-person lecture and car
instruction will resume starting with our Spring 2024 semester.
Spring registration is OPEN!
Click here for registration form
Please read the form carefully!
Registration forms accompanied with a copy of the Learner's Permit and check can be dropped off or mailed to:
ESM J/S HS
ATTENTION Athletic Office: Driver's Ed
543 Moriches-Middle Island Road
Manorville, NY 11949
Here is a brief overview of ESM's Driver Education Program:
- The cost for the spring program is $580
- Registration will be due January 29th and classes will start the week
of February 5th. The course will end approximately the last week of June.
- As registration closes, students will have the opportunity to sign up for their preferred lecture/car schedule as the school year begins.
- Lecture sessions will be held after school at ESM and in-car sessions
will meet by the north entrance after school and on weekends.
- Refunds will be available until the course starts on February 5th.
Drivers Education is offered at the school by an outside company. There is a fee for this course and therefore, no school credit is given. Full payment is due at the time of registration. In order to participate in the program, students must be 16 years old, be in good standing academically and disciplinary within their school district, and have their Learner's Permit (MV-100) to start to the course. Upon completion of the course, most insurance companies offer a 5% to 15% discount on insurance rates. There are a limited number of spaces in the Driver's Education program. Students who have their registration material, a copy of their permit and payment, on the day of registration, will be scheduled according to DATE OF BIRTH. Seniors and Juniors will have first priority and Sophmores will be scheduled upon availability. Students handing in their registration materials and payment after the registration date will be placed on the waiting list regardless of date of birth.
A complete, professionally taught Drivers Education Course that will provide the students with a comprehensive introduction to the driving experience. These experiences will include; "rules of the road", traffic safety concerns, defensive driving, proper handling of a vehicle, driving in traffic, and problems of substance abuse as related to driving.
Students must complete 24 hours of in-car instruction (6 hours behind the wheel/ 18 hours observation) and 24 hours of lecture class training and receive a passing grade of 65 or higher in each category. This course is not intended to bring a new drivers to higher levels of driving performance without adequate practice time outside course hours. Nor is this course designed to spend more time than is required to cover the basic elements of the NY State road test.
The course includes the MV 285 "formerly known as a Blue Card". This provides an insurance reduction to students who qualify license Class D at age 17 upon successfully passing the NY State road test and submitting their MV-285 to DMV.
Read carefully. By New York State Education regulations, a student is allowed to make-up no more than 3 absences in either car or lecture class. All absences must be made up. It is the students' responsibility to make arrangements with and obtain prior approval from the regular driving and /or lecture instructor to proceed with any make-up assignments. More than 3 absences in either class, (not combined) will result in the student failing the course. There are no "excused" absences. Absences due to illness, bereavement, SATs, ACTs, (and other tests), are still considered absences.
If a student can not be accommodated because classes are filled, all monies will be returned or refunded. If a student is scheduled for classes, they may make a formal schedule change request within 48 hours of the schedule posting or notification of their schedule. If a student can not be accommodated, all monies will be refunded. Late requests for schedule changes will incur a $50.00 administrative fee if the students drops out. In an case, once classes begin, no tuition refund will be authorized.
- I will always obey all New York State vehicle and traffic laws.
- I understand that I must successfully complete both car and theory (lecture) portions of the course in order to receive a MV 285 ( formerly known as a "Blue Card").
- I will conduct myself at all times in both car and lecture classes in a responsible manner.
- I understand that all cell phones, etc., must be turner off during both in car and lecture classes.
- I understand the Absence/Make-up section of this application.
- I understand that in order to take advantage of the road portion of the course that I must gain additional practice time with my parent/legal guardian during approved hours.
- I understand that 50 hours of supervised instruction both during the day and at night, is required (MV-262) when applying for a "DJ" (junior) license.
- In the event of a collision during the conduct of the car class, I will give a full and detailed written statement to the driving school and the Athletic Office regarding that collision.
Additional Reinforcement of Important Information
In order to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding at the end of the semester, please take note of the following:
- New York State REQUIRES attendance at ALL classes, Lecture as well as Car.
- Unfortunately, there are no "excuses" for missing class as a certain number of hours MUST be met.
- If you know ahead of time that you will be missing a class, i.e. SAT'S, athletic game, family obligation, etc., you should make up the class as soon as possible, even ahead of time.
- DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE SEMESTER TO MAKE-UP CLASSES!!!!!!!! There may not be any room.
- Driving Class Make-ups - All cars that are scheduled are full. In order to make up a driving class, you must wait at the North entrance and see if there are any absences in any of the vehicles that day. Car classes are scheduled at 2:30 and 4:00 everyday as well as Saturday morning classes ( check the schedule on the Driver's Education Bulletin Board outside the Athletic Office). Please keep track of the day, date, time and car instructor you made up the class with in case it is needed at the end of the semester. Constant switching of times can lead to confusion.
- If someone in your car is absent and you get to drive twice, it does not count as two classes.
- Lecture Class Make-ups - Your instructor will allow you to make up classes as long as the make ups are done in a timely fashion. You may make-up these classes by attending a different lecture than your regularly scheduled class. Missing just one class will result in you failing and not receiving your Course Completion Certificate. No make-up classes will be given when there are Mid- terms or Final examinations.
- CLASSES MAY NOT BE MADE UP DURING A DIFFERENT SEMESTER -New York State Education Department clearly states that lecture and car classes "must be taken concurrently".
- Lecture Projects and Exams - Failure to hand in your assigned projects and /or failing an exam will also result in you not receiving your Course Completion Certificate.
- Students who have an IEP or Special Academic needs should inform the instructors at the start of the semester.
- Recognize that the student taking the course will eventually be behind the wheel of a vehicle. This is a tremendous responsibility for him/her. Therefore, responsibility in meeting all course work lies with the student.