New York State Education Law Section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and non-public elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year. The Eastport-South Manor Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- When a school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application;
- Antimicrobial products;
- Non-volatile rodenticides in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
- Silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams or gels in areas inaccessible to children;
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
- The application of EPA-designated biopesticides;
- The application of EPA-designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25;
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects, including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list. If you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in your school, please send your name, address, day and evening phone numbers, email address and the name of the school to:
Assistant Director of Plant Facilities
Eastport-South Manor Administrative Offices
149 Dayton Avenue
Manorville, NY 11949
Written notification must be provided to all persons in parental relation and staff at the following intervals throughout the school year: at the beginning of the school year, within two school days of the end of winter recess, within two school days of the end of spring recess and within ten days of the end of the school year.
The following pesticide applications have been performed: