Background: Athletic Placement Process at ESM
The Board of Education with input from the District Administration, has adopted the New York State Athletic Placement Process and has added the following to the resolution: the Eastport-South Manor Central School District Board of Education shall permit seventh and eighth grade pupils to compete on interscholastic athletic teams organized for senior high school pupils as follows: (1) seventh and eighth pupils who successfully complete the Athletic Placement Process as defined by the New York State Education Department and who are determined by the Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics to be elite athletes shall be permitted to compete at the JV or varsity level in the requested sport; and (2) at the discretion of the Athletic Director and in consultation with building administration, with final approval by the Superintendent of Schools, seventh and eighth grade students who have successfully completed the Athletic Placement Process as defined by the New York State Education Department, may be permitted to compete at high school levels.
Initiation of this process may come from coaches, parents, and/or students. All timelines posted must be followed.
Information about this New York State Education Department’s process can be viewed by clicking here: APP Handbook
ESM’s paperwork for this process can be viewed in the menu on the left hand side of this page.
Upcoming Athletic Placement Process Dates
Important dates for the 2022 Fall Season:
- APP information, along with links to the necessary forms, are found in the menu on the left side of this page and in the Athletic Office.
- If your child needs a physical and Tanner Test you must call LI Urgent Care in Manorville to have your child seen by Dr. Melina Khwaja, our school physician.
- Please drop APP permission forms and physicals with "approved" tanner scores off to the Athletic Office by July 31st.
- Fitness Test: All students will test together at ESM HS at 8 AM on August 17th (and 18th, if necessary.)
- Fall tryouts start August 22nd and must be completed in the first 3 days for students going through the APP process.
- Students who make the team remain at that level for the season; those that are not selected may participate at the JH level starting September 6th.
Important dates for the 2022-2023 winter season will be posted in the fall.
Important dates for the 2023 spring season will be posted in the winter.