SUMMER READING - TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE
The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.Do you know?...
* Out-of-school reading habits of students has shown that even 15 minutes a day of independent reading can expose students to more than a million words of text in a year. Anderson, Wilson, & Fielding, 1988
* The average student learns about 3,000 words per year in the early school years (8 words per day). Baumann & Kameenui, 1991 / Beck & McKeown, 1991 / Graves, 1986
* The educational careers of 25 to 40 percent of American children are imperiled because they don't read well enough, quickly enough, or easily enough. Committee on Preventing Reading Difficulties in Young Children of the National Research Council, 1998
* To participate fully in society and the workplace in 2020, citizens will need powerful literacy abilities that until now have been achieved by only a small percentage of the population. National Council on Teachers of English Standards for the English Language Arts
* There are almost half a million words in our English Language - the largest language on earth, incidentally - but a third of all our writing is made up of only twenty-two words. Paul Kropp "The Reading Solution"
* Students who reported having all four types of reading materials (books, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias) in their home scored, on average, higher than those who reporter having fewer reading materials. The Nation's Report Card: Fourth-Grade Reading 2000, April 2001, The National Center for Education Statistics
* When the State of Arizona projects how many prison beds it will need, it factors in the number of kids who read well in fourth grade. Arizona Republic (9-15-2004) Advertisement by SheaHomes Inc. www.sheahomes.com
* To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries. A C Grayling, Financial Times (in a review of A History of Reading by Alberto Manguel)
SOURCE: The Literacy Company: Changing the Way People Read
This summer reading assignment is designed to improve your reading comprehension and increase your vocabulary in addition to developing your CRITICAL THINKING. That is ....
Below you will find the handouts that were mailed to you the beginning of summer.Happy Reading! See you in September!Mrs. McCoy, Mrs. Murphy, & Mrs. WilckenEnglish 10 HonorsALL work is due on FRIDAY 9/5/2013
- analyzing the ideas and concepts within the reading
- investigating the author's technique
- exploring the main idea
- evaluating the affects of the content