What can I do as a parent to help my child who is struggling academically?
Contact the classroom the teacher and ask the following questions
- What are my child’s strengths and weaknesses?
- Why is my child struggling/receiving a low grade in your class?
- What can I do at home to help my child be more successful?
Request a team meeting with your child’s teachers and other relevant professionals
- Discuss classroom strategies and building levels supports that may be appropriate
- Discuss home-based strategies to reinforce skills
Try the following at home with your child:
- Studying (i.e. Creating practice work/study guides)
- Reviewing and checking homework
- Reading with your child
- Praise your child and offer a reward system at home for effort