Homeless and Temporary Housed Students
What is the McKinney-Vento Assistance Act?
We encourage our parents to become familiar with the types of assistance that are provided by the school district through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.
After reviewing the details within the informational brochure our parents will have the information they need to support their decisions.
How does ESM School District support the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act?
The Eastport-South Manor School District supports the educational progress of our homeless children through the implementation of The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.
To ensure that our families receive the supports that are available as defined by the Act, our homeless liaison and administrative team is responsible for:
- Facilitating the immediate identification of homeless students during registration process. If you become temporarily housed during the school year, you must contact the District Liaison
- Ensuring that homeless students are immediately enrolled in school.
- Arranging for school transportation.
- Providing assistance with the securing of clothing, if necessary through the use of our clothing closet.
- Providing students and unaccompanied youths with school supplies, if necessary.
- Providing families and unaccompanied youths with the support that may be necessary with securingrequired documentation such as birth certificates, immunization records, medical records andschool transcripts.
- Referring homeless children, youths, unaccompanied youths and families to medical, dental and other health services.
- Providing counseling and support services as needed.
- Resolving any disputes between the school, the families and unaccompanied youths.
Additional Information and Links
Information on the State’s efforts to support homeless families and youths
Questions, Concerns and Disputes
If you have any questions regarding The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act or how to access supports please contact:
Lori Franchi, LCSW Districtwide Homeless Liaison Phone (631) 801-3282 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org