REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMINISTRATION OF MEDICATION FOR A CHILD DURING SCHOOL HOURS
If your child has to take a prescription or over-the-counter medication during the school day, the following procedure is necessary:
1. Medications may be administered in school only in compliance with New York State regulations.
2. Medications will be given only with a written order from a licensed health care professional and with written permission from the parent / guardian of the student. The appropriate form for this purpose is enclosed. (This includes all medications such as prescription drugs, medicated cough drops, ear drops, ointments, Advil and Tylenol).
3. The physician’s order can be on a prescription or they can complete the bottom half of the attached Administration of Medication in School form. This information must include:
- Diagnosis or condition being treated
- Dosage, frequency and route of medication
- Information regarding the drug, such as it’s use and possible side effects
- Physician’s name, address telephone number and license number
4. The medication must be in its original container (bearing a pharmacy label). Pills placed in an envelope or separate container cannot be administered.
5. The medication will be kept in the School Nurse’s office in a locked cabinet.
6. It is strongly recommended that all medications that can be given outside school hours, without deleterious effects to the child, should not be administered during school hours.
7. Only medication delivered to the School Nurse by the parent/guardian will be accepted.
All appropriate forms and medications will be accepted in the Nurse’s Office beginning the first day of school. All medications must be picked up at the nurse’s office prior to the last day of school or they will be discarded.
SELF-MEDICATION (grades 7-12)
Students who request permission to carry their own medication on campus or keep their medication in a PE locker MUST complete the Self-Medication Form in addition to the regular Medication Authorization form.
BOTH FORMS CAN BE DOWNLOADED BELOW