Board of Education Candidates
Board Petitions Due to District Clerk
May 11th by 5:00 PM
Budget Vote & Election
Board Member Qualifications
- The qualifications for school board membership are prescribed by law. Board members must be qualified voters in their school district, be able to read and write, and be a resident of their district for one year prior to the election. They may not be an employee of the district.
- As prescribed in the Education Law, every school district officer, including Board members must be able to read, write, and be a qualified voter of the district.
- Not more than one member of a family may be a member of the same Board of Education in any school district. No current district employee may be a member of the Board of Education. The Commissioner has held, however, that a retired teacher receiving medical insurance benefits under a current collective bargaining agreement is eligible to serve on the Board. A Board member may not hold another public office that is incompatible with his or her Board service, e.g., local municipal office.
- A Board member who is removed from office is ineligible to be appointed or elected to school district office for one year from the date of removal.
- The Commissioner of Education has ruled that school boards may not add to the qualifications established by statute for school board membership.