Board of Education Candidates
There will be two at-large seats open for the 2018 election to the Board of Education which are three year terms commencing July 1, 2018 and expiring June 30, 2021.
Board Candidate Packets will be available February 12th to any qualified person seeking to run for election. If you are interested in running for the Board of Education, please contact Sharon Murray, District Clerk, at 631-801-3045.
Board Petitions Available
Board Petitions Due to District Clerk
April 16th by 5:00 PM
Budget Vote & Election
Board Member Qualifications
- The qualifications for school board membership are prescribed by law. Board members must be qualified voters in their school district, be able to read and write, and be a resident of their district for one year prior to the election. They may not be an employee of the district.
- As prescribed in the Education Law, every school district officer, including Board members must be able to read, write, and be a qualified voter of the district.
- Not more than one member of a family may be a member of the same Board of Education in any school district. No current district employee may be a member of the Board of Education. The Commissioner has held, however, that a retired teacher receiving medical insurance benefits under a current collective bargaining agreement is eligible to serve on the Board. A Board member may not hold another public office that is incompatible with his or her Board service, e.g., local municipal office.
- A Board member who is removed from office is ineligible to be appointed or elected to school district office for one year from the date of removal.
- The Commissioner of Education has ruled that school boards may not add to the qualifications established by statute for school board membership.